Our Serums are the products our line is most known for. And our most common question about them is how do you choose the right Serum for you? Their ingredients look similar, yet the subtle differences are actually large differences when you have very specific skin concerns. All of our Serums are paths to healthy skin, but they each have a different set of symptoms they focus on.
Below is a brief guide on skin symptoms per organic skin oils collection:
Silver Lining Dermal Strengthening & Night Restoring Serums: oily skin, large pores, congested pores, consistent breakouts, whiteheads, blackheads, acne, fine lines, lackluster skin, lack of firmness, imbalanced oil production
Waymaker Ozone Protection & Night Recovery Serums: fine lines, lackluster skin, hyperpigmentation, sun lovers, uneven skin tone, loss of collagen and elasticity, enlarged pores, rough texture, moderate inflammation, stagnation, puffiness, occasional breakouts
Awaken Collagen Booster & Night Replenishing Serums: fine lines, lackluster skin, rough skin texture, loss of collagen or elasticity, dryness, moderate hyper-pigmentation, moderate acne, moderate inflammation, damaged skin barrier, thin skin.
Our Waymaker Serum can be the most confusing because it appears to be the least specific and be the jack of all trades. With 12 whole plants containing thousands of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and enzymes the Waymaker Collection is the most well-rounded form of nutrition for radiant skin health. For 'normal' skin and more. It’s like your skin graduated, and now its only goal is to BE VIBRANT.
1. Our Serums are multi-process. They begin as whole fresh herbs arriving to our studio directly from our farmers, and then go through a 7 week maceration process that extracts both oil and water soluble nutrients.
2. Sourcing the best possible organic skin oils for our Serums is a constant. Fresh samples from new sources arrive weekly to our studio. It’s not at all uncommon for me to return an oil due to quality control. If there’s a better source, we are always looking to find it!
3. The most common concern at Sabine G H with oils, is potency and freshness. Lipids are sensitive to light and heat. Protecting them from harvest to bottle is not common industry practice. Even ‘cold pressing’ involves friction induced heat, which can make even our highest nutrient sources vulnerable if they aren’t constantly attentive or using proper cooling techniques.
4. All of our Serums are non-comedogenic. We strongly encourage those who rely on the comedogenic scale to NOT do so when it comes to our products. Enzyme activity, microbiome diversity, lipid freshness, and refinement play HUGE roles in whether ingredients are comedogenic (pore clogging), yet they are not at all addressed. It’s about the formula, the source’s entire chemical composition, and the skin – NOT about the oil type.
5. All the essential oils present in our Serums are there for medicinal reasons and are so micro-dosed they legally don't need to be listed but we still do. All our EOs are added for their medicinal properties, not to fragrance our products, and none of them have photosensitizing properties.
6. Our Serums are made fresh WEEKLY, and maintain potency for 18 months unopened. They are this stable partly due to our Amber UV protective glass, and partly due to how the combination and network of phyto-nutrients work to support and strengthen each other.
WHAT DOES MY PERSONAL RITUAL LOOK LIKE WITH OUR SERUMS?
I use Waymaker Ozone and Awaken Night Replenishing Serum as my general standard. Though I sometimes use both Awaken night and day in the Winter when I feel the heaters and fireplaces dry my skin, and I’ve used Silver Lining Dermal Strengthening in the past when I struggled more consistently with acne.
I most often rely on Awaken because I struggle with puffiness, broken capillaries, mild hyperpigmentation, fluid/lymph stagnation.
However, Awaken Collagen Booster is actually my favourite serum! My skin just loves the softness it brings, so I use that any chance I can! When it's too nourishing for my skin I revert back to Waymaker.
My skin enjoys the subtle change in nutrients between the Collections. Think of it as not eating the same meal over and over boosts the body's. Because of that, I like to change up my skin ritual often and intuitively.
Hydration is of equal importance to skin health as oil is. I never skip my hydrating Hydra Mist step. Immediately after misting I apply my Serum while my skin is still damp.
I always treat my neck and chest. And lately whatever is left on my hands has been going on the back of my neck as well. This is something I’ve found that has helped with my own stagnation/flow/puffiness and offers some headache relief with the aid of my gua sha when time is in my favour.
I loved sharing this deep dive on Serums with all of you!